Hey, thanks for stopping by!
what do i do?
I am Borka and I can help you and your child sleep better. I do so in a gentle, caring, and non-judgmental way. Carefully listening to you, asking the right questions, and understanding your goals help me devise a sleep plan that is right for your little one, you, and your family. I make sure that we make this plan together and that it reflects your values and wishes for your child.
How do I know?
I have over 14 years of experience working with a diverse population of children. In 2015 I started to work with children with special needs and that is my passion since. Through my years of work with children and families with various needs, I learned to listen, be flexible, and creative when helping children and their parents achieve their goals.
more about my education
BSc, Education, University of Belgrade, Serbia (Europe)
M.A., Child and Adolescent Development, San Jose State University
M.A., Professional Behavior Analysis, Florida Institute of Technology
Board Certified Behavior Analyst, since 2019
Gentle Sleep Coach, Advanced Mentorship, since May 2022
GSC Program Summary
The Gentle Sleep Coach Program is the first and most extensive professional sleep coach training and certification program available. The program involves over 80 hours of training with a faculty panel that includes 2 medical doctors, a psychologist, an attorney, lactation counselor, postpartum doulas and a family therapist. Each coach must pass an exam and participate in case mentorship with Kim West, LCSW-C (a.k.a. “The Sleep Lady”) who has been helping tired parents for over 20 years. Clinical mentorship and ongoing advanced training are required to maintain certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach. Some of my training topics included:
- Basic counseling and child development
- Sleep science and behavioral modification techniques to help parents of children age 0 to 6 years old.
- Secure attachment theory
- Support for the breastfeeding mother
- The training also consisted of lectures from top specialists, including:
- Postpartum Depression from Dr. Shoshana Bennett, author and leading specialist on Postpartum Depression
- Medical Conditions and Sleep Apnea in Children led by Dr. Lewis Kass, Director of Children’s Sleep Center
- GERD and Sleep led by Dr. Anthony Loizides, pediatric gastroenterologist
- We also need to fulfill continued education requirements to maintain our certification. Those are webinars given by renowned people in the field of sleep.
- My additional training included 6-10 year old population.
Why do I do it?
One of my deepest values is caring for others. I also found that oftentimes problems in sleep lead to problems in behavior which in turn impede learning of the new skills and adjustment. I want to guide you through fixing your child’s sleep so other things they need to do go smoother. I also hope to help you achieve your goals well rested.